Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Gallifreyan-English Dictionary - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Site-Related » News » Gallifreyan-English Dictionary (Latest Updates)
Gallifreyan-English Dictionary
StrangerComeKnockingDate: Sunday, 23 Dec 2012, 7:26 PM | Message # 1
Rihays, Master of Many Names
Group: Administrators
This is the thread about the G-E Dictionary, including the latest updates and things.

Because of the program I'm using, I have to separately export and upload each version which means the link is always changing. Sorry. If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

If anyone would like to translate the dictionary, let me know. So far, we have the following languages:
English

The dictionary is always changing, so check back frequently. Also, if you notice any errors or if I'm missing a word, please let me know.

The link can be found on the main page.

"Everybody knows that everybody dies." -River Song

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Sunday, 23 Dec 2012, 7:29 PM | Message # 2
12.23.12 Added a bunch of new words, including "please" and "thank you" and words relating to thinking and knowing. Added some wibbly-wobbly words relating to yesterday, today and tomorrow, also years. And Rhiannon went sugar-crazy and added at least two dozen sex- and gender- related words. Basically, you think humans have a whacked out sense of sexuality? Wait until you see what the Time Lords think.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 31 Dec 2012, 10:45 AM | Message # 3
12.31.12 Word count up to 691, not including the Proper Nouns and a new section of Flora and Fauna. (Proper Nouns sorted according to English alphabetical order instead of Gallifreyan. Working on that...)

We now have words for emotions and to describe more. Currently we have happy, love, and sad and they will be joined by jealousy and hate.

Other new word sets include landscapes like deserts, mountains, and forms such as islands, archipelagos, peninsulas, and so on. Similarly, new weather terms like storm, blizzard, mist, and fog also appeared. All of these follow the standard "The sky is..." construction.

I also included some generic affixes to make new words out of existing words (alo- to make nouns from adjectives, etc.). It should be noted that these are general use only to make words that we may not have yet or are just too...unused to make right away. Basically, unless it is listed in the dictionary or the lexicon (and you may formally suggest new words at any time) it is not an official word.

Speaking of affixes, a self- affix also made its debut. You can attach it to either the front or back of a word to make words like self-obsessed, self-important, self-righteous, and so on. Unlike the other affixes I mentioned above, this may be considered an "official" affix, meaning the words you create will be legit. But the endless possibilities of self-(adjective) combinations make it a little difficult to list them all.

We have words for twins and triplets now. Based on the construction, going for quadruplets, quintuplets, sextuplets, septuplets, and so on shouldn't be too difficult. You're all intelligent human beings, aren't you?

Verbs have also been marked if they are Ever-present verbs. Any verbs unmarked are assumed to be Regular. (Gallifreyan Made Easy will be updated posthaste to explain this further.)

Units of time were also added, and without any real incident. Words like second, minute, and hour are very flexible, however. They default to local time (which means they are sixty-second-sixty-minute words). But if you were on Skaro (or maybe just writing a short story about it) a simple "hour" would default to one Skaro-hour, however long that may be. But if the Doctor is on Skaro and wants to rendezvous with a companion in one Earth hour, then that must be specified. The default time on the Tardis is Gallifreyan. Gallifreyan seconds and minutes are similar to Earth's (or so we're told), but the hours vary based on time of year, season, and location. (ToY and season are not always the same, see hofna v. hofza).

Known strictly-Gallifreyan units of time have also been added and given appropriate Earth approximations.

More clothing words were added, including words for "to don, dress" and "to wear". One is the act of putting on clothes and the other is just wearing them. The first is Ev and the other is Rv. Clothes may now also have beads. And you can differentiate between a set of clothing and an article.

The colors have been officially filled out as well as another pattern. More adpositions.

You are now able to describe some foods and cook them over fire. And you can also describe the food poisoning you get afterwards.

It should be noted that "to be late" and "to be lost" and all related words are the same. Because of their time travel abilities, being late to anything is an insult. And being late may be because of getting lost.

Also new is "to make, force". It is a verb, but also a participle. Basically, you use the verb to say "He forced me!" and only "He forced me!" If you want to expand and say "He made me go with him" you use the participle after the verb. So it would look like "Go made he me with him." Check GME.

We have a word for "Hello" now!

Proper Nouns have been added. They include quite a few of the old Presidents and some common people and some not-so-common people like Koschei. And the name of Gallifrey's moon and one of its suns.

Also added were "technology" and "technological". Your first thought may be computers and the Tardis and stuff. Mine was also, I admit. But technology is not limited to currents and wires. Wheels and levers are also technology because they replace or augment the work done by man. Thankfully, this is a broad term, but it's something to keep in mind.

Either, or and neither, nor have also been added. Presumably, they work the same as in English. But until we work out the mechanics, it should be used with extreme caution and commit nothing to memory. A section will appear in GME once we have it down. ("or" and "nor" by themselves may be used as regular conjunctions.)

"faith" and "believe" are a little more defined than in English. "faith" refers more to encouragement while "believe" has to do more with existence. So while "I have faith in you" and "I believe in you" mean relatively the same thing in English, in Gallifreyan, "faith" is one of encouragement and "believe" really means "I believe in your existence/I believe you exist."

As far as flora and fauna, I realize some may argue that some plant/animal are Old High Gallifreyan (Arkytior, anyone?). However, a rose by any other name and all that. Gallifreyans are extremely resistant to change, so who knows?

One final note, an onomatopoeic word has been added (onomatopoeic means it sounds how it's spelled and spelled how it sounds, phonetic and all that). "çɪworp'" is now the official word for describing the vworp-vworp of the Tardis engines. Well, why not just use vworp-vworp? I don't know about you, but if you try to say vworp at the same time as the Tardis engines (and I'm weird enough to do this), it's like you're missing half a syllable. Two vworps are too long, but one is too short. "çɪworp'" adds another short syllable. And it looks cool in Circular. And because I said so.

I think that's about it.

The next dictionary version to be released will have all of your words in it. You know, from the Spaghetti Word event? Yup. Can't wait to see what's coming next from you guys.

Over and out.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 07 Jan 2013, 9:43 AM | Message # 4
01.07.12 Only added a coupel dozen words since the Spaghetti Word Event has been going on (none of those words have been added yet). So then, "door" has been expanded to mean also "entrance" and "exit" though they are not to be used for verbs. Still working on those. Also added is the indefinite personal pronoun (how does one do a thing). Also added a few missed words from the Lexicon.

We now have an official term for adjectives-used-as-adverbs. Adjectives and true-adverbs have their own terms, but adj-as-adv are special, too.

Included too are words for "to doodle, draw haphazardly".
"Sisi, ɛjodad ɪmoz bɐṱɪbəɬ ɬɑvɛɹ adəm."
"Oh my, I'm a walking doodle."
-Lady Cassandra

I got a kick out of that. cool

Also included is a new suffix to turn a noun into a verb.

Corrected a typo on "noun"

"ʍoɹnə" definition has been expanded to include "invention".

Parts, pieces, and member has been added, as well as words relating to discipline and interruptions. "Stubborn" now has its own place. We also have words for between and among, though they are not quite as all-inclusive as English.

Finally, we now have words for telepathy. Given that Time Lords have more senses than humans, we'll just leave telepathy to inter-brain communication, eh?

That's about it. Spaghetti Words will not be added until Thursday and the new Dictionary will be released Friday.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Friday, 11 Jan 2013, 2:25 PM | Message # 5
01.11.13 Added the result from the Spaghetti Word Event. Mostly food. Actually, entirely food +1.

Rather underwhelming and unenthusiastic lot, aren't you? Come on, people! I know you're out there, lurking in the bushes! Let's do this! Yeah!

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 14 Jan 2013, 10:08 AM | Message # 6
01.14.13 Oh, wow, what a week it's been for word-thinking-up! It's like a word bomb exploded! So, here goes.

Holy and sacred. I won't go into the lovely etymological [say that five times fast] discussion we had about it, but basically "holy" is a trait assigned by God and "sacred" is an attribute assigned by man to God. Get it, got it, good! (Also, note that there is a difference between the words for reverent holy and defamatory/casual holy.)

We have rounded out our artsy categories. We have Theater/Performing Arts, Crafting Arts, and Study or Practical Arts (The Art of War, the art of fine dining, etc.). Unlike in English, Gallifreyan "disciple" is derived from study/practical arts and not strictly "discipline."

Upstairs and downstairs and a few parts of the house have also been added...attic and room. It should be noted that "upstairs" and "downstairs" are nouns, not directional adverbs. And they are not literally up- and down- but above-floor and below-floor. Just something to think about.

We have a word for "let's" also. "Iha" is casual or urgent. There will be something more for formal use "Allow/permit me to do this thing." For now, we have only iha.

Direction and distance words have also been added. Near, far, away, up, down. Stuff like that. News-related words have also been added. The word for "reporter" has the "-wi" at the beginning, but the "i" may still change to take gendings. (And, yes, it is the new word for gender endings.)

Along with words like narrow and wide are some more landforms: gorge and ravine.

We now have a word to complete "Time Lord". And it is to be used only in the Time Lord sense. "K'ɔd k’ip’ə zi" is how you say "Time Lord" (lit. Lord of Time).
k'ɔd vɛnıç = Lord Doctor
k'ɔd riʃɑɹ = Lord President (Lord Ruler)

If you are perusing the dictionary and find half a dozen words for "to study" or "student" and are wondering why, here's a brief rundown.

wɪrsu - to learn
wɪrsuwi - student (any student of any subject)

wusra - to study (a particular subject)
wusrawi - student (when used in conjunction with a particular subject [Chemistry student] the general implication would be that's your major; otherwise this "student" means like a "college/university student")

wijoç - to study (at a particular school)
wijohiwi - student (also generically a "college/university student" but used to specify a particular school [U of M student etc])

"I'm a Chemistry student at LSSU" could use either wusrawi or wijohiwi. "Wusrawi" implies that you are a Chemistry major at LSSU, while "wijohiwi" implies that, while you study at LSSU, Chemistry is not your major, just a class you are taking.

wɪska - to study (the act of studying)
k'iwɪskə - study session

And that's how it is. Moving on.

You can now describe your herb garden or your cooking, with a list of eight common herbs.

All right. Loomlings. Rhiannon had a nice long rant about how she doesn't like Loom Theory, the Doctor wasn't Loomed, and didn't want Loom terms. However, we came to the Gattaca Compromise. If you've ever seen the movie Gattaca, you know what I mean. If not, watch it or don't worry about it. Basically, we do have both sets of terms. Parent and Grandparent words may mean either Natural or Loomling-Family-Structure, if such a structure is needed. Though primarily Natural.

Note: Child means Natural, Childe means Loomling.

There are words for son/daughter/t-g/generic for both children and loomlings. Loomling son/daughter etc. are rarely used. Instead, generic childe/cousin is used.

Because of potentially complex family structures on Gallifrey with Natural and Loomling relatives, there will be no further family/relative terms. (Except for maybe grandchildren at a later time.) Basically, to refer to your aunts/uncles/natural cousins, etc., you're going to need to do a little family tree outlining.

I admit, I'm a bit of a weapons enthusiast, though I prefer bows/arrows and knives/swords to guns. Nevertheless, we have a whole stock of new words for all you hunters and target-shooters. And for a few fencers if you're out there. Incomplete, but a good start.

If school is more your thing, we haven't forgotten you. We have some very basic subjects in the math and science area. Still trying to piece together Gallifreyan school structure and the Time Academy, so be patient. Also, four of the basic math functions (think PEMDAS) have been included.

But history is not something we've skimped on! We've divided the timeline into seven major components:

Ancient History
Semi-Ancient History
Immediate Past
Modern/Present
Immediate Future
Later/Not-So-Distant Future
Distant Future

These terms, all adjectives, can change depending on time and place. The terms themselves should be pretty self-explanatory, but it's really up to your best judgment on which to use.

Now, about the word listed as "retro" or "out-of-time". We're not just talking about cassette players in a world full of iPods. It's anything out of its time or something that should have advanced but isn't or hasn't advanced and should. Martha Jones in The Shakespeare Code, called the girl out of her time. The Oods advanced too quickly while Satellite 5 made no progress at all in 100 years.

Also added a few words for gods, deities, spirits, souls, and ghosts. Lovely stuff.

A new affix has been added. -mo is a proper noun marker, basically the difference between "the guard" and "the Guard" [the Chancellery Guard]. A few rules on it: if the full name is spelled out "Chancellery Guard" you don't need -mo. And if the word ends in m, -mo stands alone as a separate word immediately after. Not needed on personal names unless the name is a common word.

And there's been a smattering of other words: old (age), to grip, name, power, corner, sleep, to become, lover, person, a few slang words, corrected a typo.

And that's it.

Don't forget about the Conjunction Party or the current Lexical Discussions.

Have a nice day.

Stranger-Come-Knocking

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 11:29 AM | Message # 7
I'm just going to do a little brag right here about some of the awesome things that are going to come out of the High Council this week for words. I'm not actually going to say what they are, but when you see them, you're all going to be like:

And if you're grumbling about only the HC coming up with words and you don't like being surprised or you wish we'd come up with a certain word faster or you have your own word to share, you can always submit your ideas to the Word Submissions board.

And don't forget about the Lexical Discussions or Conjunction Party.

Have a nice day and see you Monday with all the updates!

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 21 Jan 2013, 12:16 PM | Message # 8
01.21.13 This is the week I told you that your mind would asplode because of the awesomeness. Well, for starters:

The adpositions table is finished! Woo! You can check it out in the newly updated Gallifreyan Made Easy, along with the finished Interrogative chart!

And everybody went yay!

Speaking of everybody, we also have a major grammatical breakthrough to tell you about. It involves "im/possib[ility]" and "every". When you peruse the Dictionary, you'll find four or five different terms for each and it can be a little overwhelming. That's all right. You should know first off that you may use the generic terms as normal.

The other terms (everything[action] and so on) are a little more advanced. You're not going to find them in GME. I'll give you a brief run-down.

The suffixes you see are called classes, and there are four of them: "people" "objects" "actions" and "concepts".

They specify what is im/possible or what "every" encompasses. For example:

"But the Shakri ["Power of Three"] are impossible, a fairy tale meant to frighten the Gallifreyan children."
--> "But the Shakri are an [impossibility], a fairy tale..."
--> "But the Shakri are an falodɑɹidod, a fairy tale..."
--> "Odadi uθ ʃɐkrijoz uh falodɑɹidodəɬ, uh [fairy tale...]"

"No, that's a silly idea, impossible."
--> "No, that silly idea is impossible."
--> "No, that silly idea is impossible-thought/idea."
--> "No, that silly idea is fodɑɹijɐʔwoj."
--> "ɛfo, odadi [idea, silly] ɛk bəro fodɑɹijɐʔwojəɬ."

You could say either say "X is im/possible-[attr]" or "X is a/n im/possibility-[attr]" Both mean the same thing. In Ex. 3, one could say that being "bigger on the inside" would be more of a concept. However, the primary difference between the thing and thought/idea attributes is tangibility. You can definitely see and feel the bigger on the inside, whereas an idea or a plan cannot be seen. (Unless written down, but I digress.)

"That's a fantastic idea! Entirely possible!"
--> "That's a fantastic idea! Entirely [possible-idea]!"

OR

--> "That fantastic idea is entirely [possible-idea]."

OR

--> "That fantastic idea is a [possibility-idea]."

OR

--> "That's a fantastic idea! Entirely [possible]!"

And generic terms can be used, if needed. Not impossible. (See what I did there?)

"That's impossible!"
--> "Odadi bərowoz fodɑɹijəɬ!"
--> "Odadi bərowoz uh falodɑɹijəɬ!"
--> (Or, if you're pressed for time) "Fodɑɹijəɬ!"

"That's possible!"
--> "Odadi bərowoz dɑɹijɔm."
--> "Odadi bərowoz uh alodɑɹijɔm."
--> (Or, if you're pressed for time) "Dɑɹijəɬ!"

Continuation with oʃrɛn (every)

oʃrɛndod - everyone, everybody (pretty self-explanatory)
oʃrɛnfɛd - everything[object] (ie. Everything[object] in this room is alien in origin. [Using roʃ would mean literally everything, the objects, the people, the air, the floor, the ceiling, the people, etc.])

Scenario: A team in the final quarter of a game has a chance to tie it up and force overtime. The coach comes up with a plan.

oʃrɛnazu
Sentence: Everything[action] is going wrong!
Usage: The plan is totally fine, but the players are morons and are physically unable to pull it off.

oʃrɛnɐʔwoj
Sentence: Everything[plan] is going wrong.
Usage: The plan is a flop. The players execute it to the letter but are unable to overcome the opposition. There is still time for another play, another plan. Again, the players execute the plan down to the last step, but the plan is faulty and they still fail and lose the game.

Again, very brief. Working on a more comprehensive explanation and will get it out as soon as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to post.

But that's not all we worked on! Actually, most of this past week has been focused on affixes. Everybody loves affixes! English uses quite a few affixes and you don't even realize it.

zɪp - co-, together, joint, can be used to emphasize a group effort; Rv afx
ɛθl(o)- - un-, dis-, the opposite of, adj afx
ɬɛp'- - de-, to undo, Rv afx
pil - de-, to undo, Ev afx
k’oɹ(ɾ) - un-, dis-, not, adj afx
-fɛnu- - -less
-noʔ- - intra-
-soʔ- - inter-
-mıri- - extra- outside, beyond
θiʃ- - re-, again Ev
lɛθ- - pre- (changeable/abstract)
hɑl- - pre- (fixed)
-ɹaz - post- (changeable/abstract)
-ɑlit - post- (fixed)
varʔ- - hyper-
-luʍɑ - hypo-
-gɛj- - re- Rv
-soɹ- - -able, -ible
ʃıʒ- - dys-

Pay attention to if they are prefixes, suffixes, or both.

The list doesn't stop there, however. Also included are some uncommon affixes.

-sruwa- - study of (-ology)
kʍɔ - bio-
-çunɪ- - collection

And from these we get words like:

kʍɔsruwa - biology
kʍɔtɹɛvɑ - bioluminescence
kʍɔpɪdro - biography
kʍɔsruwaʃɔk' - microbiology
sruwaʃəlɛk - psychology
klɑsɛt - word
dɪsuʃ - sentence
ʒuʃoɬ - book

lɑçunɪ - trilogy
çunɪʒuʃoɬ - anthology
dɪçuʃɪ - paragraph

Fun stuff, right? And, to round it all out:

snopu - group (naturally-occurring)
sno- group of
snowoçɛjɑri - flock of birds
snoɬurɪsçɛ - clump of flowers (compared to an arrangement of flowers)

But wait! There's more! Vocative markers are all the rage these days, and we have half a dozen for your every need including poetic, casual, sexual, realization, disappointment, and more! Call now and we'll throw it surprise for free!

Included some more bodily systems: integumentary (skin & hair), respiratory, skeletal, and a special section on immunity.

Basically, immunity words are a little more picky than in English, discerning between bodily ailments, emotional, psychological, telepathic, and so on. They work just like normal adjectives except when you want to specify a certain disease. Then you add -əb' to make it an Ev.

"Sadly, I am not immune to Chen 7; it will kill me."
"Sadly, I am not being immune to[Ev] Chen 7[d. obj]; it will kill me.[norm. sent.]"
"Ɛjvɪsʒi, adfavɑloʃa ɪmoz Tʃɛnəɬ mɑ; klorinɪjak'ɪk'i ɪməɬ."

Moving on, we have an official "there be" construction. Rv

There were roses on the bridge : Suçɪʃam sɐlɔɾiç oz ik'ɪl uh gaɾol.

Compass points were also added, NSEW and even their in-betweeners.

Too, too, and too have been added.

duz - too (much)
nuʒ - too, also (subject change)
ʒɔl - too, also (predicate change)

I ate too much cake. (duz)
I enjoy cooking. My sister also enjoys cooking. (nuʒ)
I like pizza. I also like cake. (ʒɔl)

"To talk/speak" is now available!

If you're looking to brush something off, you might use Sfɔʃ (Psh! Nonsense!)

Finally, to end on a more ponderous note, we also have a new idiom:

hɑlit ʃɪlɔm - pre-ja vu, the sense that you're going to have been somewhere before

Considered a single noun, affixes are attached to hɑlit.

Chew on that for a while.

It may not seem like a lot got done this week (and know that not absolutely everything has been posted here), but actually, you can create a whole host of new words with the afxs developed this week. Dreamless, restart, international, pre-War, hyper-sensitive, and so on.

Enjoy.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 28 Jan 2013, 12:12 PM | Message # 9
01.28.13 Woohoo! We've tipped the 1,000 word mark this week (even if just barely)!

Sorry, guys, it hasn't been a terribly productive week with only four new words added.

ṱuz is an emphatic adverb particle. Basically, we have emphatic present tense "do verb/verb!" but if a verb is forced into other tenses but still needs emphasis, you use this. Works with both Rv and Ev

marɛləb' - to betroth (someone [do]to someone[ido])
marɛlɪn - engaged, betrothed
marɛl - fiancée (any gender)

I don't think these really need an explanation, do you?

A few notes on the Dictionary:

You'll notice that some words now have syllabic and stress marks. Basically, . separates the syllables and ' at the beginning of the syllable is the one that's stressed (the difference between aƩA AƩa Aʃa and aʃA). (['a.ʃa]) Not all words have this as sitting there entering syllable/stress is rather mind-numbing. It's a work in progress. If you notice any mistakes or have questions, you can post on the Forum.

I believe I have also found a way to include the actual Circular word. However, this presents a problem: the Dictionary would VERY quickly become big and bulky. I don't know how it would look exactly (it may just be a link) but I would like to include said pictures. I'll be experimenting a bit with this, so stay tuned. I'll make an announcement on the Forum.

Join the Forum!

That is all.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 04 Feb 2013, 5:52 PM | Message # 10
02.04.13 Be afraid. Be very afraid. We have an explosion of new words such as we have never seen. Well, maybe. Mostly themed in some way including court/law words and math. Bar jokes are also possible now. ;) Filled in a few glaring holes in the lexicon (friend/enemy anyone?).

gɔlnam – enemy
spɛdɪg - friend
ɪjuno - crowd
azspɛdɪg - stranger
sɪkɑz - courtroom
oboɹ - law
ɹɛntɛ - trial (law)
ɹɛntəb' - to prosecute, to try/bring to trial (a court case)
valɪɹ - prosecutor (law), from Old High “valeyard” meaning “learned court prosecutor”
ʒəbuɹ - lawyer, one who defends a party
ɹɛzdɪk' - judge (law)
ɹɛzɪd - to judge, pass a sentence (law)
ɪjokoɹ - jury
fɛswoj - guilty
fɛsʍol - guilt
noçɛn - innocent (of a crime)
anoçɛl - innocence
k'oçənɑ - crime
k'oçɛrwi - criminal
vɛrkoçɛrwi - war criminal

ɪmnjow - to punish, penalize
ɪnjoɹna - punishment, penalty
[It is not known exactly how these words evolved since they sound slightly off-kilter compared to most Gallifreyan words. Likely they were much longer in Old High and became condensed to the point of having little vocal distinction, resulting in a "lispy" word.]

tɛrsɑt - to witness (an event)
tɛrsɑwi - witness
pɑlɑdɪ - verdict (law)

ɐṱi - other (adj.)
ɐṱimo - Other
əṱɪ - pub, tavern, bar
əṱɪnan - bartender
umjan - to serve, provide a (public) service
umjawi - servant
umij - (public) service
tɑkin - to say
lɛjtoɹ - to serve (of one's free will), volunteer
lɛjtowi - servant, volunteer
lɛjto - service

θulʃ - angle (math.)
niʒ - side (of a shape, building, etc.)
lɑniʒ - triangle (three-sides)
sɑniʒ - square (four-sides)
çɑniʒ - pentagon (five-sides)
ʒɑniʒ - hexagon (six-sides)
[And so on. These words merely reflect any shapes with the given number of sides, regardless if they are "perfect" shapes.]

lɑθulʃ - triangle (equilateral, right, isosceles)
sɑθulniʒ - square
sɑθulʃ - rectangle
çɑθulʃ - pentagon
ʒɑθulʃ - hexagon
hɛluʒ - oval
hɛθuɬ - circle

k'ṱɪzɪl - date (mm/dd/yyyy)

hɐʃruwa - botany
snoçɔm - constellation
sruwaçɔsɪp - astronomy
ṱɑla - planet, world

obɛrɪʃ - to destroy, lay to waste
oburʃ - destruction
obuwi - destroyer

Kɪt sɑnaɹ ɪmoz alotalṱɔwəɬ, uθ obuwi tɑlari zi.
Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

putər - to obliterate, exterminate

zəmon - to rot, decay
zɛmno - rot, decay (n)

dɪθow - to threaten
dɪθɪɹ - threat

Putərap'ɪp'! exterminate

ɹɛɬ - boundary, border
ɹəθ - territory, zone

Now then, I'm going to pause to introduce you to a few off-words.

We already have a word for ruler. It is riʃɑɹ. We have k'ɔd riʃɑɹ as Lord President (ie. Rassilon). But you can't call the king of France or the Dalek emperor riʃɑɹ. Instead, Gallifreyan has substitute terms.

ɪθɑnɪ
musok

Either can be used and mean (basically) the same thing. But you can't call the governor of a state/province or a nobleman either of those. Instead, you can use:

ənduɹ
ʔɑmi

The first two mean a higher ruler (king, emperor) and the second lesser rulers (noblemen, governors). And to render "empire" or "kingdom" you merely pluralize the word for "colony".

gɑlwoɹ - to call, summon, send for
gɑlo - summons

IDIOM
" ʃəlnodəb' towa gɑlwoɹarɪɹ uθ aloʍoɹɪp’ " - to feel the orange calling (oneself) - wanderlust (the Gallifreyan sky is orange)

ðɛsɑsof - wisdom (often interchanged with "ðɛsosɛt" proverb)
ðɛsosɛt - proverb
ðɛsofa - wise

ɬɑk'ə - insult
ɬɑkow - to insult

ʃofoɹ - blasphemy
ʃofow - to blaspheme

favro - religion-belief
favrok' - religious-belief
[Strictly speaking, a "religion" is any organization, cause, or belief. Democrats, Republicans, Environmentalists, Pro-Coal, are all technically "religious". This term is for our modern understanding.]
-avoɹ - pertaining to religion
(Krɪstavoɹ - Christian/ity (n.adj.)
Dʒudavoɹ - Jewish/Judaism)

And now for some grammar. The first is for "must" and "must not."

zos - must (part.) (+emph.)
fozos - must not (part.) (+emph.)

"Zos onunatap' ɪməɬ!" - You must trust me!
"Fozos ob'tɪvowap' bərowəɬ!" - You mustn't drink that!

It defaults to "you" but you can include s/he as a subject.

Next is for could/would/should.

b'tu sorɪlaɹ - could (+ infin.)
"B'tu sorɪlaɹ vɛnorəl uwi ɪmɐðɪ." - You could travel with me.

ɹu sorɪlaɹ - would (+ infin.)
"ɹu sorɪlaɹ ɐk'lgɛɹ ɛboz ufəɬ!" - He would reveal us!
ɹuba - might, maybe

ʍul sorɪlaɹ - should, ought to (+ infin.)
"ʍul sorɪlaɹ ʒjəb' oʃrɛndodoz lop'lijəɬ." - Everyone should believe in something.

C/W/Should have verbed = b'tu sorɪlaɹ la (+infin.)

C/W/Should be verbing = b'tu sorɪlaɹ ça (+infin.)

A more complete explanation will be given in GME.

okoṱ - to list
ok'o - list

ɬɑn - to go (in a time-traveling manner)
ɬap' - to come (ti-tra manner)
tobsɑn - to arrive (ti-tra manner)
sɑʃan - to leave (ti-tra manner)

doθ - to go (non-time-traveling [could be walking, biking, motor vehicle, just not time-travel])
dɐlɪ - to come (nott manner)
ʃudon - to leave (nott manner)
ʒɪðɑθ - to arrive (nott manner)

Between natural children and loomlings, Gallifreyans do not have "birthdays" per se, but they do have Namedays. For regular Gallifreyans, it's usually when they are named (birth, after looming, etc.). For Time Lords, they may have two Namedays, one for birth/looming and when they take the uðu.

zɑʔziʃ - Nameday

Zɑʔziʃ Məp'il - Happy Nameday! (Birthday)
Zɑʔuðiʃ Məp'il - Happy Nameday! (specifically for a Time Lord's uðu Nameday)

az- - noun pfx meaning "-to-be" (fiance-to-be, writer-to-be)
ad- - noun pfx meaning "would-be-" (would-be-thief, would be-gardener)
aʃ- - noun pfx meaning "ex-" (ex-wife, ex-teacher)

IDIOM

Not necessarily an idiom, but more of a reaction.

uðɐɾ - to respond/react immediately/to fail to hesitate

It's like when some responds just too quickly.

"Do you know what you're doing?"
"Of course I do!" (followed directly on the feels of the question)

iʒu - polite address (sir, ma'am)

srosɪ - tongue (set of [You never know])
bɑ srosɪ - one tongue
klɑsoɹ - language

ɛjçor - to build, construct
ɛjçul - building, construction
ɛjçowi - builder, architect

klɑsɛjç - conlang (ooooooooohhhhh)

nɛçpɑnow - to undertake (a project)
nɛçpɑn - project, undertaking

Uθ Nɛçpɑn Gɑlifrɛjli Klɑsɛjçil

jorɪv - more
ʍɔmɪʃ - most

These are general adjectives, but can be made into comparative (bigger) and superlative (biggest) markers as jor and ʍɔm placed before the adjective.

And more timey-wimey words:

gɪp' - time, instance (At certain times of the year, etc.)

Time Lords are aware of the passage of time, as are most lesser species, so we get words like:
k’ipṱwi - sense of time (general/context)
k’ipṱwɑl - planetary time
k’ipṱwok' - personal time, internal clock

Also a few more school-related words and odds-and-ends.

hɛswo - school, any institution of learning
hɛlsɪk' - academy, university, school of higher or focused learning
ɛjgɛl - house
ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - house, bloodline
ʍɛjgɛpɪɹmo - House
ʍɑltɑl - newblood
ʍɑlsoj - oldblood

Proper Nouns:

ɹəl Pluṱɑɹk - Mount Plutarch
B'ɐrk'o Lun - Lune Forest
ɹəl Lɑçɑɹ - Mount Lung

As far as Proper Nouns, only the name is listed (Pluṱɑɹk, Lun, etc.) and not the formation (ɹəl, b'ɐrk'o, etc.). Rule of thumb, formation first, name second. The name is not touched; all affixes attach to the formation.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Hɛlsɪk' Pɑṱrɛk' - Patrex Academy
Hɛlsɪk' Sɛrul - Cerulean Academy
Hɛlsɪk' Prajdon - Prydonian Academy
Hɛlsɪk' Dvorɑ - Dvora Academy
Hɛlsɪk' Sɛndɪl - Scendles Academy
Hɛlsɪk' Ɑɹkalɪ - Arcalian Academy
Hɛlsɪk' Dromɛj - Dromeian Academy
Hɛlsɪk' K’ip’ə - Time Academy

Dvorɑ ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Dvora
Blɑjlɛʒ ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Blyledge
Aɹpɛk'ɑ ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Arpexia
Kɑṱɛri ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Catherion
Ik'ɪj ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Ixion
Mirɑflɛk ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Mirraflex
Jukəʃmol ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Wildthyme
Lolita ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Lolita
Trɑçolɪk' ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Tracolix
Ʃɑnθəlɪp' ʍɛjgɛpɪɹ - House Xianthellipse

These are not listed in the Dictionary. The Dictionary would asplode. And it's not even complete; we are missing a few Houses. Instead, I will be compiling a listed of the Houses and some interesting facts and things about them. But if you need to reference them, here they are.

Note the formation: School-Name and Name-House. The Names are not touched at all; all affixes attach to the school/house.

This week's theme was Adverbs and Wibbly-Wobbly. And we bring it to you live.

akhatɛ - forever (univ. only)
bɐldoɹ - usually
dərol - seldom, rarely
dəɹlɑ - rare (adj.)
prijo - forever (pers., esp. common in endearment [I will love you forever])
walɪk - always (ref. to fixed points [The Doctor dies at Lake Silencio, he will always die there! All points in time always converge there.)

So, what does personal and universal mean?

Universal, relating to actions, events, or people in the natural environment (things going on around the Time Lord).
Personal, between people

Basically, if the Doctor says, "If we don't stop them, the Daleks will rule forever," you use universal because it is happening around him and affects the universe.

If he says, "I will wait for you forever if I have to," you use personal because it is something directly affecting him and/or an immediate person around him.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post.

Have a nice day.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Wednesday, 13 Feb 2013, 4:54 PM | Message # 11
02.13.13 Sorry, guys, I was out for a few days with the flu. :( But I'm back now and ready to get rolling!

Most of this week's focus was on math stuffs. But before we get to that, I'll just throw in the wordy-words we got around to.

ʃobogən - term for Time Lord dropouts who live in Low Town (used by the Gallifreyan elite)
ʃɑtɛlɛjn - ruler of a Caretaker House (Houses not of the Time Lords)
çɪzurəmo - Grandfather (ruler/founder of Old/Newblood Houses)
k’ip’əwi - "timey" term for a Time Lord used by those in Low Town

And no, we don't have a strict term for a "Caretaker" House yet.

ɬuʃ- - anti-

sɑgnɛn - to govern
sɑgmɪɹ - government
sɑgmɪli - government(al)

-dos - system, method, structure (scientific method, governmental system, etc)

ərukdos - scientific method

sɑgnəruk - politics (lit. science of government)
sɑgnərni - political
sonɑsɑg - council, specific group of politics

ɔzuk' - great, mighty

ihu - agency, organization
ihuwi - agent

goçəd - to intervene
goçɪ - intervention

vɑnop' - to win
vɑnowi - winner
vɑn - win (n)

fuɹlɑr - to lose (a competition)
fuɹlɑwi - loser
furɑl - loss

zɪfuvɑ - to compete
zɪfuvɑwi - competitor
zɪvɑnuf - competition

sɪgmohɪ - victory
sɪgmohil - victorious
sɪgmowi - victor

ʒəsɔfsɛ - to defeat
ʒəsɔʃɛs - defeat (n)
ʔbul - battle

ɐbɪṱ - coin (as currency)

sonɑsɑg ɔzuk' - high council

çəf - faction, party
sɑgnəçəf - political party

wadɛg - guard (pers.)
wadəb' - to guard, keep watch over
sɪjwadɛhu - guard (org.)

Sɑgnəçəmo - Chapter

Sɑgnəçəmo Pɑṱrɛk'
Sɑgnəçəmo Sɛrul
Sɑgnəçəmo Prajdon
Sɑgnəçəmo Sɛndɪl
Sɑgnəçəmo Ɑɹkalɪ
Sɑgnəçəmo Dromɛj

Sɑgnəçəmo Sɪjwadɛhu - Chapterhouse Guard (official)
Sɪjwadɛhumo - the Watch
[Both are other names of the Chancellery Guard]

(Still having a small debate on the official name of the Celestial Intervention Agency)

ʒɛnboɹ - precious, special

dʒɛnboɹəp' - especially (adv)

ʒɛnıkow - to defend
ʒɛnık' - defense

b'ɑz - until

ṱɛzɛṱ - last (ever)

hoʔok' - sarcasm
hoʔoç - sarcastic

Now for the maths.

First off, you will need to know base-12 math, or else be extremely amazing in number conversions. And if you are indeed that brilliant, you should have no problem picking up base-12 anyway. You can check out http://www.dozenal.org for a refresher.

Basic math. Percents, addition, subtraction:

Rendering percent; addition, subtraction

Multiplication and division

After a bit of discussion, Rhiannon suggested we use filled in circles and hollow circles to avoid confusion. What does this mean? It means that multiplication is still attached to the bottom right, but there is also a filled-in circle (like addition) crossing over the lines. Division is on the bottom left but has a hollow circle like subtraction.

Multiplication
This I did freehand because I just got really impatient. Please bear with me.
Also, some of the notes are in lattice-multiplication. If that confuses you, check out this place.
I decided I liked the 5*4 notation better than the 23*14 notation, so that's what I used ever-afterward.

Division (freehand with notes)
Not terribly amazing...or helpful...except for the notation...

Exponents
Pretty simple.

Order of Operations
Example on the left done in base-10 just as a refresher. The second example works in base-10 or base-12 because the numbers are easy.

Math Problems and Explanations
All problems done in base-12.

Basically, divide is on the left and multiplication is on the right. And the bars are parentheses. Good stuff.

Finally, here are some more math symbols.

And trig:

Please note that (especially) with the more math symbols and teh trig, they are in flux and may be subject to change. We have a lovely math expert going to come around and tell us if things will or will not fit together and how they should be set right.

And if you are like "Whoa, wait a minute! What just happened?!" know that as things are approved for math-sale, they will be compiled in a lovely little booklet (or maybe book...) for you to peruse through.

Thus has been the week.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 18 Feb 2013, 8:00 PM | Message # 12
02.18.13 Oh, what a week for words.

Dictionary Note: The Dictionary is getting a little big for the server as far as uploading, so I had to take out the Flora and Fauna. Actually, it might just be my computer/Internet connection. Anyway, they are safely tucked away, don't worry. Proper Nouns may be getting a Dictionary of their own here pretty soon in order to make room for more words as well as just give them a spot of their own. Wonderful thing.

A few grammar/suffix pieces.

ɹuhɪb' - ambiguous within a type
("Get whatever you want" -> ambiguous w/o type
"Get whatever you want to drink -> amb. w/ type)

-ɛdɛm - period of time in one's life
dodagɛdɛm - adulthood (childhood, parenthood, teenhood, Time Lord-hood etc.)

pɑlɪp - to feel (state of being, I feel happy, etc.)
-pɑl - -ful (may attach to nouns or verbs)
[oboɹpɑl - lawful]

Some VAN word sets (verb-adjective-noun):

towɛn - spice (cooking)
towɛnow - to spice, add spices
towɛni - spicy

sɑbon - survival
sɑbonəb' - to survive
sɑbonwi - survivor

ðɑnɑn - to read

woʒ - to write
woʒðɛm - handwriting
[A super-contraction from alo + woʒ aʃəm, to distantly mean "(the) written"]
woʒ ʒuʃoɬɔm - to write down (to write to book)

ɹagaɹ - to draw

ʍɔsək' - to sail
ʍɔsəkwi - sailor

pɐlɛk - to give
pɐlkɪ - gift, present

mɛsɛɹ - farm
mɛsɛnɛw - to farm

jɑnɛç - to behold
jɑnɛj - Behold! intj.

kwop' - to skew, distort

ɛsodoṱ - to exist
ɛsodowi - being

ɛrbotɑ - to forbid
ɛrboʃɛm - forbidden

dɹɛgnup' - to restrain, hold back
dɹɛnoɹ - restraint(s)

gɑmto - to meet (by chance)
gɑmɪtoj - meeting
gɑmɪtojwi - one who instigates a meeting

zɪpgamot - to meet (on purpose, scheduled)
zɪpgamɪt - meeting
zɪpgamwi - one who instigates a meeting

əndɛ - to worship, adore
əndɛwi - worshiper
əndɛpɑl - worshipful
əndɛk' - worship, adoration

ʔrʃṱɐ - awful, terrible
alorʃṱa - dread
orʃṱab' - to dread

ṱɪθɛn - logic, line of reasoning
ṱɪθɛnow - to reason with

ɛwowɛj - to soak (the busy woman's way of doing dishes) (Rv)
çɛjwoɹ - to be soaking, soaked in (Ev)
A note on this: You use ɛwowɛj to say someone is soaking in a bathtub, but çɛjwoɹ to say someone is soaking in water. Using the latter for the former use means someone is soaking literally in bathtubs... wha

sɛçp'oṱ - to reply, answer (conversationally)
sɛçpo - reply, answer (n)

ɪposɑr - to reply, answer (a question)
iposɑ - reply, answer

ṱɐnop' - to explain
ṱɐnopob - explanation

koṱɛʃəb' - to imagine

ʍɔkən - to watch
hɛskoɹ - to listen
jimɛṱɐn - to touch (telepathically)

Some water and nautical terms:

kɐldɪ - shallow (as a water level)
ɐlkɐd - deep (water level)
gɪfθub - riverbed
jəð - wave

And precious stones:

pjɑd - jade
gɪbɑ - agate

bɪhub - bottom (physical [as compared to "bottom" of the hour])
opɔf - top (phys.)

Some more weather:

p'umb'oɹ - thunder
hɑtɹɛv - lightning

p'umboṱɐʃ - thunderstorm

And some various scattering of words:

çəʍɔ - fuel (for a machine or other non-living thing)
kɪklo - galaxy
p'ləɹ - whole (adj)
lop'ləɹ - whole (n)
bɛjl - page
ʍajal - rule
ɹuthɪz - bride
ʔuthɑz - groom
luṱhɛz - 3rd gender person being married

And that's all for easy explanations. Now I want to get to a wordset that needs a small monologue.

ʒɛrnoɹ - fear
ʒɛrnowəb' - to fear (something/someone)
ʒɛrgɪpow - to experience fear

Fear. The first word shouldn't be too difficult to grasp, but I want to address the different verbs.

I fear spiders. -> ʒɛrnowəb' because it is a fear that I have regardless if there is a spider before me.

But if someone were to walk up to me and ask, with a knife to my throat, "Do you fear me?" he would probably be using ʒɛrgɪpow because he is asking my current state. I ʒɛrgɪpow him because he is threatening me, but I probably don't walk around with the fear of him (ʒɛrnowəb') in my mind.

There has also been an explosion of theater-related words:

fɪzam - to appear (come into view)
ɬɛfɪzam - to disappear

ṱɛsɑn - stage (theater)
ṱɛsɑniʒ - offstage
ik'tɛsɑn - onstage
ulojɛrɑhɪ - backstage
θɛṱsɑn - upstage
udɪṱsɑn - downstage
ip'θɛsɑn - cross-stage (down- to up-)
ip'ɪṱsɑn - cross-stage (up- to down-)

nɛθɛ - left (direction)

ṱɛsɑnɛθɛ - stage left
ıjunɛθɛ - house left

ṱɛsɑnɐdʒo - stage right
ıjunɐdʒo - house right

jɛrɑhɪ - curtain

And a filling in of some adverbs of place and frequency:

uroʃ - here (time)
urɔʃi - here (place)
uruʃ - here (time and place)

ʃoʃokuruʃ - here and there

ɹumɑs - some
vus - few
ɹumɑgɪp' - sometimes (adv)
ɔgɪp' - most times (adv)
vusgɪp' - a few times (adv)
ligɪp' - many times (adv - North)
likɪp' - many times (adv - South)

ðɛplɑ - actual, real
dɛplami - actually, in reality (adv)
ðɛploɹ - reality

Finally, a couple more split-hair verbs. We have affixes to indicate events which may be fixed or in flux, and so are th verbs for "to change/alter"

kɐmɪb' - to change, alter (inconsequential, ie. alterations to a dress, change pen color, etc.)
kɐmɪnɑb - change, alterations (n)

ɑlɛg - to change, alter (consequential, ie. change history, change a homework grade)
ɑlɛgɛɹ - change, alterations (n)

For non-Time Lords, basically, if the change will be noticed and have an effect, use one. If not, then the other.

Like I said, what a week for words. I may have missed one or two, but that's all right. I'm sure you're smart enough to scout them out. B)

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 25 Feb 2013, 12:04 PM | Message # 13
02.25.13 As noted in another thread, Rhiannon has been gone for a couple weeks. Words have been slow as the time has been taken to catch up on other little things that have otherwise been left hanging. This is not to say words and grammar and stuff has been entirely neglected.

sɑn k'uhɑɹ -> to fall asleep (Ev)

kodəɹ - awake
sɑn kodəɹ -> to wake up (Ev)

All verb affixes attach to sɑn. And if you want to tell someone to wake you up at a certain time, you can use this:

Aʃrɪ sɑnap' kodəɹ ɪməɬ.
Force me to become awake.
[Yes, the command falls on sɑn.]

"Yesterday" and "tomorrow" have been expanded to mean "past" and "future" respectively, in both senses (personally and universally).

Added a few cultural things as well:

tɑrɑnri - taranium (metal? mined on Polarfrey)
tɑrɑn - taranium-colored
tɑrɑnril - taranium, made of taranium

əbon - ebonite (colored)
əbonri - ebonite (stone?)
əbonril - ebonite, made of ebonite

mɪmisɪs - Mimesis, a Gallifreyan art in which whatever is written comes true.
tɑklɛfɛjn - Toclafane, fairytale race
Çkɑbɑ - Qqaba, original name of the Eye of Harmony, before Rassilon

Other than that, everything is pretty normal this week, trying to fill in some gaps. No tricky surprises, just a little hair-splitting.

dɛfɑ - moral/s (n)
dɛfɑli - moral (adj)

ɹɛwortap - to work (occupation)
ɹɛwoɹɪt - job, occupation
ɹɛworwi - worker

fɛsoɹ - to work (function [Is the computer working now?])
fɛsorit - function

zɑnɪ - to eat

çuvori - (musical) instrument (pl. çuvojiɹ)

ɑltɑm - (technological) instrument
dworti - (hand) tool, instrument
ʍoɹdit - (power) tool, instrument

[These may also be used as adjectives when paired with a specific tool (screwdriver, saw, etc.)]

Screwdriver ɑltɑm -> sonic
Screwdriver dworti -> hand (flathead, Phillips, etc.)
Screwdriver ʍoɹdit -> power drill

sɛrɑh - to barely touch, glide over, brush

nofiɹ - to be located (used with çu and the indirect -ɔm)
nofɪl - location

irɛhɑtɛv - glass (lit. lightning sand)

dodu - candle

gɔstɛp' - promise
gɔstɛpəb' - to swear, promise (something)

gɔstorəb' - to promise, pledge (oneself)
gɔstoɹ - promise, pledge

çɑrjɑnow - to swear, curse, use foul language
çɑrjɑn - swearing, foul language

ɹuzus - to sprint

ɹuʒsɑlop' - to curse, put a hex on
ɹuʒsɑl - curse, hex
ɹuʒɑlnom - cursed

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Friday, 01 Mar 2013, 10:58 AM | Message # 14
03.01.13 This week I attempted to switch the Dictionary over to a new program that could generate both a PDF and a web page (though regrettably not with multiple sections: Proper Nouns, Flora/Fauna, etc). It boasts some sort of link with the current program wherein I can transfer the current Dictionary over. Unfortunately, I've not figured out how this works as of yet. So it will be another week of strictly web page Dictionary-ness.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 04 Mar 2013, 9:15 AM | Message # 15
03.04.13 This week saw the return of Rhiannon and so things can get a little back in order. Our discussions have been quite lively and so expect some things to change. T_T

Slow time for words, having only a few.

Pajθijɑ - Pythia, title given to rulers before Rassilon. 508th Pythia cursed Gallifreyans and Time Lords so most could no longer or had difficulty reproducing naturally. By the 7th Doctor, the curse was lifted.

Ao - Ao constellation and hero of Gallifrey

ɹɑtruz - maximum

mɐmɪl - minimum

And from max. and min. we get "as x as possible" but as "to the maximum possibility".

P'əlk’ kolaɹap’ɪp’ uθ alojudin ʒun alodɑɹijazu ɹatɹuz ʒjɛ!
Run to the theater as fast as possible!

There is a greater explanation in GME which will be released just as soon as we figure out how to deal with Whether-Or. The words have been added to the Dictionary and the explanation will quickly follow.

New also are come conjunctions, two different forms of "but" have been released.

pum - but (contrasting [not x but y])
mɛf - but (however, nevertheless, protest)

"Not the red one, but the blue one!" -> pum
"But you said the red one!" -> mɛf

"I'm not going to tell you straight, but give you a riddle." -> pum
"I'm not going to lie, but I can soften the blow." -> mɛf

Forum » Site-Related » News » Gallifreyan-English Dictionary (Latest Updates)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024