Friday, 19 Apr 2024, 11:19 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Competitions and Activities - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Site-Related » Suggestions and Ideas » Competitions and Activities (Keeping people practicing!)
Competitions and Activities
awakeningDate: Tuesday, 14 May 2013, 8:06 PM | Message # 1
Stowaway
Group: Users
Hey there!

I was just thinking about something we could do on the forum that would mean our current active users were enticed to do a bit more practice.

I thought that maybe we could have a sub-forum called Competitions and Activities, or even have them somewhere else, where each week or few days we have different activities, such as poetry, short stories, translating, writing/designing large pieces of circular, so on.
For starters, it would mean many of the users, such as myself, would get some great practice in, and it would help significantly with our learning.

On top of that, we'd get to spend more time together, getting to know each other better and becoming a nice tight-knit community :)

Just some ideas!

Dʒɑʃjuə

Message edited by awakening - Tuesday, 14 May 2013, 8:07 PM

LicoricePleaseDate: Tuesday, 14 May 2013, 9:39 PM | Message # 2
Group: Moderators
Those are some really good ideas. One of our biggest obstacles is how reluctant people are to make words. Maybe we could come up with a few games to help that?

awakeningDate: Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 6:22 PM | Message # 3
Stowaway
Absolutely, that sounds like a good idea. I mean I know that I have thought about it at points, but have opted not to because I was scared they'd be rubbish.

Although I'm not sure what sort of game would be good for this.
Whether there are some game guidelines for creating the words, or perhaps every few days a word is posted that needs to be created, and then everyone just posts like a minimum of five words that it could be, and then at the end everyone votes for their favourite word?
We could actually create lots of words really quickly.

Added (15 May 2013, 6:22 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Cool, now that it's created, some points I feel need to be worked out:

- Who can begin competitions or activities?  Is it anyone can create whatever they want at any point, or the moderators create competitions/activities (and people can suggest new competitions/activities to the mods in a thread stickied at the top of the comp/activities sub-forum?)
- Who decides who wins if it's a competition?  Vote or mods?
- Can the person who has created or come up with the idea enter?
- To keep it going, does the person who wins then come up with the next idea/theme?

For example;
(Example competition thread)

SHORT STORY COMPETITION

The theme is Regeneration, and the word minimum is 75 words.

Write a short story that's main focus point is around Regeneration.
The competition will run for 2 weeks and voting will take place on [date].  Voting is open to everybody, you may not vote for yourself.

To vote, you must decide three categories.
You may choose the same person for each category or different people for each.

The categories are;
Most Creative.
Most Grammatically Accurate.
Most Grammatically Advanced

Get writing!

So, any other ideas?
I suppose at this point the most difficult part about running competitions is that there are few truly active members.
Maybe simply running activities at this point would be a more productive and worthwhile endeavor?

Dʒɑʃjuə

LicoricePleaseDate: Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 6:34 PM | Message # 4
Game Ideas:
*A mod posts certain morphemes that need to be used and some that cannot be used. People come up with different combinations, and mods assign meanings to them.
*People leave three words at the end of their post, and the person below them has to use the sounds to create words. They can assign meaning or let mods do it.
*People leave an English word at the end of their post. The next person must create the Gallifreyan equivalent - or decide that Gallifreyan wouldn't have one (or it would be a construction, etc).

Quote (awakening)
Who can begin competitions or activities?  Is it anyone can create whatever they want at any point, or the moderators create competitions/activities (and people can suggest new competitions/activities to the mods in a thread stickied at the top of the comp/activities sub-forum?)

I think mods would create them, just so we can keep track of everything.

Quote (awakening)
Who decides who wins if it's a competition?  Vote or mods?

Depends on the competition! For ones that deal with grammar, I think there would have to be two stages: one where the mods pick the most grammatically correct, and one where people vote.

Quote (awakening)
Can the person who has created or come up with the idea enter?

Yes. Mods can enter too - unless mods are the only ones deciding who wins.

Quote (awakening)
To keep it going, does the person who wins then come up with the next idea/theme?

I think there would be a few potential prizes, in case someone didn't want to come up with something like that.

awakeningDate: Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 6:40 PM | Message # 5
Stowaway
All sound really good!  I like them.

Quote (LicoricePlease)
*People leave three words at the end of their post, and the person below them has to use the sounds to create words. They can assign meaning or let mods do it.

Three Gallifreyan words?  And from the three words the person below creates a word from those words?

Another game idea:
- The first poster writes a sentence in Gallifreyan.  The person below then translates that sentence into English, and writes a follow up sentence in Gallifreyan.  In this way, we are creating a giant story that goes on and on and on, and each poster then must translate and write.  Good practice!

Dʒɑʃjuə

KimDate: Friday, 17 May 2013, 6:19 AM | Message # 6
Human
I'm not sure, I really like the short story idea. I know I'm not that advanced in Gallifreyan, but I admit I've been studying a bunch offline, so atempts won't be too horrible. The collective story thing sounds even better; I love those sorts of threads!  ^_^

Oh! And to make things more competitive but fun, maybe have different teams, you know, like the Chapters/Academies? (Prydonian, Patrexian , ect.) Back when I was on Harry Potter forums all the time, I noticed forums with a house system were much more active. 

Ooh! Ooh! Or something that works Gallifreyan into art. Art is fun.

awakeningDate: Friday, 17 May 2013, 7:16 AM | Message # 7
Stowaway
Yeah, I think the collective ongoing story thing would be awesome.
I know I would benefit from it heaps!

I don't know if a house system would work at this point, simply because I think we don't have enough regularly active users.
It sounds like a wicked idea for later on though!

However, I LOVE the idea of trying to incorporate gallifreyan as an art form :)
I've always said to people that the cool thing about gallifreyan is that it isn't just a creative language in that you can be creative with the meaning I your words, but the actual way in which you write it can be extremely creative.

I guess it's up to the mods to create these though :)

Dʒɑʃjuə

LicoricePleaseDate: Saturday, 18 May 2013, 11:07 PM | Message # 8
Just today I was thinking about curved comets. I suppose orbitals could potentially be other shapes... Or what if a word was written entirely with color and no solid lines?

Message edited by LicoricePlease - Saturday, 18 May 2013, 11:07 PM

awakeningDate: Sunday, 19 May 2013, 1:41 AM | Message # 9
Stowaway
Quote (LicoricePlease)
Just today I was thinking about curved comets. I suppose orbitals could potentially be other shapes...

This would be awesome.  Gives you more options and creativity with it :)

Quote (LicoricePlease)
what if a word was written entirely with color and no solid lines?

How do you mean?  I don't quite understand it.

Dʒɑʃjuə

LicoricePleaseDate: Sunday, 19 May 2013, 3:12 AM | Message # 10
Quote (awakening)
How do you mean?  I don't quite understand it.

Sort of like this?
Attachments: 5854481.png (94.1 Kb)

awakeningDate: Sunday, 19 May 2013, 3:28 AM | Message # 11
Stowaway
Oooh, now that IS cool!
I can see so many possibilities with that!

Got to give that a go soon :D

Dʒɑʃjuə

KimDate: Sunday, 19 May 2013, 2:04 PM | Message # 12
Human
I agree; that'd be a great idea! Maybe make some circular art for the forum to make it more colourful?

Oh! And I wanted to ask; can only mods/admins make these sorts of threads? Cause I really wanted to try the collective story idea  ^_^

Message edited by Kim - Sunday, 19 May 2013, 2:37 PM

LicoricePleaseDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 0:56 AM | Message # 13
You can make them, too! But if there's going to be mod involvement, you should talk to the mods so we can make the thread. (For example, competitions that have mod-made rewards or mod-run rounds; but if the creator does the rewards, etc. then you can make your own competitions.)

Lexi-RaeDate: Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 2:09 PM | Message # 14
Human
I just really like the idea of suggesting words to be created and we all work on it! Honestly, I've been wanting to ask for quite a few words. Almost every day I come up with new things I want/need.

Like today: Gallifreyan units of Mass/Weight.

So if we could get that somewhere I'd be more tan happy to join in ALL the TIME. :D

Forum » Site-Related » Suggestions and Ideas » Competitions and Activities (Keeping people practicing!)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024