Search

Thursday, 28 Mar 2024, 10:43 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
What's Missing? - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Community » Competitions and Activities » What's Missing? (Finding the lacunas!)
What's Missing?
LicoricePleaseDate: Saturday, 01 Jun 2013, 0:52 AM | Message # 1
Group: Moderators
Things you need to know:
- A lacuna, or a lexical gap, is when a language doesn't have a word for something. For example, English doesn't have a word for a person who isn't a virgin; Romanian doesn't have a word for shallow. As we develop the language, we need to find the holes in our dictionary!
- The Gallifreyan-English Dictionary has more words than the Project Notes lexicon.
- The person above you will provide a lacuna.
- You must provide an idea about this lacuna. This idea can be the word itself, how the word will be used grammatically, if the word's multiple meanings are different words in Gallifreyan or if certain definitions don't exist in Gallifreyan.
- You will then provide your own lacuna.

The ideas are more subject to admin/mod alteration than other threads, but don't be afraid that something "doesn't fit" into the conlang. Plenty of things have grammatical/orthological exceptions!

awakeningDate: Saturday, 01 Jun 2013, 2:51 AM | Message # 2
Stowaway
Group: Users
New favourite!
I love this :)

I'm going to open it up with a fairly random one:
Bookmark

Dʒɑʃjuə

Message edited by awakening - Saturday, 01 Jun 2013, 2:54 AM

NorWinDate: Sunday, 02 Jun 2013, 11:06 AM | Message # 3
Stowaway
Ahaaa! This sounds fun.

So, bookmark. Two forms, a noun and a verb.
For the noun, maybe some sort of composite between "page" and "remember?" (like a "page-rememberer") Or a "page-marker?"
As for the verb form, I suppose one could be made from the noun (or vice-versa, possibly.) Or a whole phrase would need to be used ("to put/create a bookmark" on a given page, for instance?)

I noticed just a moment ago that apparently, there is no word in English for the smell of (old) books. Having spent some time trying to make a 3D model of the TARDIS library, I'm thinking, is there such a word in Gallifreyan?

LicoricePleaseDate: Sunday, 02 Jun 2013, 8:04 PM | Message # 4
Three forms: noun, adjective, and verb meaning to gain such a smell. Related to the word for vanilla because the compounds are actually related IRL. Old superstition that relates this smell to the Vashta Nerada.

We're missing temperature, aren't we? But I think Gallifreyan should use Kelvin, not Celsius.

DropthestarsDate: Tuesday, 04 Jun 2013, 1:09 PM | Message # 5
Human
Ok, so, Kelvin.  Good idea, Time Lords are very fond of being definite and all. 
Temperatures.  So, noun and adjective forms for the system of measure.  I think we can assume that in Gallifreyan, "Degrees Kelvin" would just be one word.  Most likely, 'degrees' would apply to angles.  It would be related to both 'measurement' and 'heat'. 

So, I think we're missing things dealing with gravity like black holes and stuff.

LicoricePleaseDate: Tuesday, 04 Jun 2013, 10:25 PM | Message # 6
Well 10 says that Time Lords invented gravity, so maybe they invented black holes by accident. Maybe a layman's term for "black hole" would be "misfire". Maybe the common term for gravity would be a shortening of the invention's original name, like "phone" is for "telephone".

We're missing Gallifreyan names for the alphabet terms (but don't worry; we have names for all the letters).

NorWinDate: Friday, 12 Jul 2013, 9:38 AM | Message # 7
Stowaway
I was hoping that someone else would post a brilliant idea, but everyone seems to have gone away... What exactly do you mean by alphabet terms? Like "vowel" and "consonant" and that sort of thing?

LicoricePleaseDate: Tuesday, 16 Jul 2013, 0:37 AM | Message # 8
They're listed in the PN. Comet, oblate, umbra, moon, etc.

Forum » Community » Competitions and Activities » What's Missing? (Finding the lacunas!)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024