[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Beginners » Relative clauses
Relative clauses
NorWinDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 6:17 AM | Message # 1
Stowaway
Group: Users
Hello! I find myself having doubts about the correct structure in relative clauses, if it is already fixed.

"The child, who wore a green hat, ran to his house" -> anɪnkolar uθ mɔhumoz, anɪnəpul k'avoz uh θɔləɬ nɛçɛṱ, ɛbɪl ɛjgɛlɔmna ʒun?
I don't know why, putting the relative pronoun after the verb seems weird, but it might be because my brain is trying to keep the SVO model. I'm also assuming the said pronoun needs to take a subject suffix, since it becomes the subject of the subordinate clause?

Also, how do we get around the difference between defining relative clauses and non-defining relative clauses? So far, I've used a participle instead (or tried to, at least) in restrictive clauses but I'm really not sure about this.

"The child who wore a green hat ran to his house" -> anɪnkolar uθ mɔhumoz əpul adəm uh θɔləɬ nɛçɛṱ ɛbɪl ɛjgɛlɔmna ʒun?

Thank you!

Message edited by NorWin - Monday, 20 May 2013, 6:18 AM

LicoricePleaseDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 3:04 PM | Message # 2
Group: Moderators
Here's what we have on relative clauses:
Relative clauses use a "comma".
Our current list of relative pronouns is who/k'av; that/towa; when/where/ɹik’a; and which/kukuʔ.

What we haven't decided:
How to mark a relative clause
Word order

Suggestions:
We have object/subject markers specifically for relative clauses. Then we add object/subject markers to the relative pronoun as they stand in the non-relative clause (ex. adding -oz to k'av, AS WELL AS the markers for relative pronouns).
We use clause order to define non-restrictive (non-defining) relative clauses. (ex. non-restrictive clauses go after the IC; restrictive clauses go after relative pronoun's common noun or potentially before the IC)

Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Beginners » Relative clauses
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024