Search

Friday, 19 Apr 2024, 5:47 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Gallifeyan text generator - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Circular Alphabet » Gallifeyan text generator (computer code to generate circular text)
Gallifeyan text generator
ActualimeerDate: Tuesday, 13 Aug 2013, 8:37 PM | Message # 1
Human
Group: Users
I am building out the mathematics formulas to generate sentences from the unicode text. While I toy with this I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on various option. Starting with capital letters.

It would be easy enough to increase the relative diameter for caps, but would they exist in the written language?

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Wednesday, 14 Aug 2013, 8:04 AM | Message # 2
Rihays, Master of Many Names
Group: Administrators
Quote (Actualimeer)
It would be easy enough to increase the relative diameter for caps, but would they exist in the written language?

Short answer, no. With exception of personal names, most capitalized things would take the suffix -mo (ie. the guard vs. the Guard).

"Everybody knows that everybody dies." -River Song

ActualimeerDate: Wednesday, 14 Aug 2013, 8:51 AM | Message # 3
Human
Thank you.

I will include a formula to increase the relative size of a 'capital' word, but will assume the relative size of letters in a word are set.

LicoricePleaseDate: Thursday, 15 Aug 2013, 4:45 AM | Message # 4
Group: Moderators
Wait, are we talking IPA text or Circular? Rihays uses capitals for IPA, but I would never (not even for proper nouns). It's arbitrary. Circular has no capitals, ever.

ActualimeerDate: Friday, 16 Aug 2013, 6:58 PM | Message # 5
Human
I hoping to create the foundation for a Circular typesetting program.  Something that will take the IPA text as an input and generate sentence (and even paragraphs?).

My understanding at this point is that, for a given word, the relative size of the letters is constant (a moon is always X times the size of an orbital in the same word).

Now my question is, should some words be emphasized over others and made to be larger?

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Saturday, 17 Aug 2013, 12:21 PM | Message # 6
Quote (Actualimeer)
Now my question is, should some words be emphasized over others and made to be larger?

We're still working out ways to make emphasis more word-based, but for now I'm going to say yes, larger to some degree is fine, but that's more Rhiannon's call.

ActualimeerDate: Monday, 19 Aug 2013, 11:12 AM | Message # 7
Human
If I include the option to emphasize a word, it can always be ignored.

Related: separate ‘fonts’ could be defined with different line thicknesses, placement algorithms and relative letter sizing.

So, my hope is to create something that would allow users to enter text using Rihays’ keyboard location and then generate the text. Last night I realized that the letters p’, k’, and b’ are all actually two characters. This presents a small challenge for parsing letter from words.

If these three cases are the only legal uses of the apostrophe then the solution is pretty straight forward. However, if there are other legal uses of the apostrophe then I will need to develop a more robust parsing algorithm.

Please let me know a little more about apostrophes.

Thank you.

Message edited by Actualimeer - Monday, 19 Aug 2013, 11:13 AM

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 19 Aug 2013, 1:28 PM | Message # 8
Quote (Actualimeer)
Last night I realized that the letters p’, k’, and b’ are all actually two characters.

Not using my keyboard. o_O

8 = p'
q = k'
, = b'

ActualimeerDate: Monday, 19 Aug 2013, 2:32 PM | Message # 9
Human
I just started fussing with the keyboard location last night. Typing ‘8’ and ‘,’ are generating two character output and ‘q’ seems to result in something that looks like Sanskrit. I wanted to look at it some more before reaching out to you. I still do because I haven’t examined it in detail and do not yet know what I am writing about.

Ideally a user clicks into a text input box and type a message using the ‘For Circular Gallifreyan’ keyboard. Then graphical output of all those circles and lines would be generated and stored somewhere.

Now if the intent is that a user press the ‘8’ key and gets ‘p'’ and these are the only uses of the apostrophe I know what to do. Otherwise in need to create some use cases for your review.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 19 Aug 2013, 5:02 PM | Message # 10
The only times where an apostrophe would be used per se is p' k' and b'. Anything else is utilizing IPA punctuation for which we have or are working on circular equivalents.

ActualimeerDate: Wednesday, 21 Aug 2013, 11:47 AM | Message # 11
Human
Awesome.

Added (21 Aug 2013, 11:47 AM)
---------------------------------------------
I think I figured out the fundamentals, but I’m going to need to develop a proof of concept to make sure everything works smoothly.

Over the next several weeks I will build out a simple java app that will take the IPA text and create a single word circle. Since it is just a POC, it won’t generate the sentence containers and the radials from the glyph are going to look pretty generic and messy (to properly plot those lines, the sentence will need to be laid out).

When the POC is ready I’ll ask for volunteers to test it and try to figure out the best way to distribute the java app.

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Wednesday, 21 Aug 2013, 2:44 PM | Message # 12
Neat. :) If you want (and I'd encourage it), you can start a thread in the Technology and post your progress. :D

LicoricePleaseDate: Monday, 02 Dec 2013, 3:41 PM | Message # 13
Group: Moderators
Hey, how's the project going?

Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Circular Alphabet » Gallifeyan text generator (computer code to generate circular text)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024