Friday, 19 Apr 2024, 5:40 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Just an idea. - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Gallifreyan Customs and Culture » Just an idea. (Because circles are hard to draw freehand...)
Just an idea.
DropthestarsDate: Monday, 27 Jan 2014, 2:17 PM | Message # 1
Human
Group: Users
So, having been stumbling around a fair bit on here (I have upcoming word submissions) I'm pretty sure I have some of the circular glyphs down.  Which is good news for me.  But it did get me thinking about submitting a linear alphabet.  So, naturally, I went and searched for Linear Gallifreyan.  Most of what turned up was Old High and variants of such.  Slightly helpful.  So I'm assuming that Old High didn't just disappear.  Obviously it did become less prominent with the rise of Circular, but (in my head, at least) it makes some sense for it to have become a secondary form of writing.  Like in Japanese where there is kanji, katakana and hiragana, all of which can be used to say the same things but in different styles.  Thoughts?

DropthestarsDate: Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014, 0:37 AM | Message # 2
Human
Okay, so, as nobody's said anything here, I'm going to go on and give an example here.
The War Doctor's message: No more.  Now, I find it likely that he 'actually' wrote this in Gallifreyan.  Of course, writing this in Circular with a large rifle is impractical.
Attachments: 3295301.png (18.0 Kb) · 9113603.jpg (3.4 Kb)

artemislittleDate: Thursday, 10 Nov 2016, 5:23 AM | Message # 3
Human
I reckon that's a brilliant idea, although, if it's going to be like Japanese kanji, then the symbol for that word will have to have at least 2 different meanings. 1 meaning that is by itself, and another meaning when combined with another word symbol (take a look at kunyomi and onyomi).

For example, let's say the word for red is "bara" (bara is rose in Japanese) and we have a symbol that means red when unattached to any other word glyphs; but then add the word glyph for flower - which for the purpose of this example lets say is "oisha" (oisha is doctor in Japanese) - when the word glyphs for bara and oisha are combined or closely attached, then the symbol pair is read as sɐlɔɾi (which is Gallifreyan for "rose"). However, when "bara" is paired with another word glyph, let's say kɐlkɑ (water), it's read as ʍɑl (blood). Although some certain words such as "Gallifrey" would have their own specific word/name glyph.

Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Gallifreyan Customs and Culture » Just an idea. (Because circles are hard to draw freehand...)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024