Friday, 29 Mar 2024, 7:05 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Additional Alphabet? - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Site-Related » Suggestions and Ideas » Additional Alphabet?
Additional Alphabet?
AnteresDate: Monday, 23 Jun 2014, 9:59 PM | Message # 1
Human
Group: Users
Can we develop an additional linear alphabet for writing? Something like Assassin's Gallifreyan. Not that I don't like Circular, but it is not feasible for writing.

StarrySkyDate: Tuesday, 05 Aug 2014, 3:36 PM | Message # 2
Human
I'd like to help with that! I quite like ciphers... I'd say something like the Modern Linear adaptation of Sherman's Gallifreyan could possibly work better than Assassin's Gallifreyan though, as Assassin's would take a long time to write (and it would be hard to learn another set of syllables!) whereas adapting the existing circular would also help with learning the alphabet  :D

"I don't like lollipops"
-Artemis Fowl II

DropthestarsDate: Friday, 08 Aug 2014, 8:47 PM | Message # 3
Human
Awesomely, I can help here! I've been working on a linear alphabet similar to the one posted by freakism on tumblr.  I'd be more than happy to help develop an official linear script.  Either way, i'm really good with codes and ciphers as well so maybe we can get something working here.

DropthestarsDate: Saturday, 16 Aug 2014, 2:14 PM | Message # 4
Human
Okay, so here is the alphabet I've been working with.  It's not exactly perfect, but hopefully we can use it as a base.
Attachments: linearalphabetb.pdf (278.9 Kb)

LicoricePleaseDate: Thursday, 21 Aug 2014, 3:49 PM | Message # 5
Group: Moderators
Linear would probably be related to High Gallifreyan (as we've seen linear used as writing for Old High before in canon), but I was also hoping for a logographic form. Drop, that's amazing! The letters are almost entirely distinct from each other, and most seem to be distinct from Earth languages. Great job! I think my only issue is with the punctuation; I think I'd like them better if they were more related to their circular counterparts. For example, the exclamation point you have looks more like the quotation marks in circular and the semi-colon looks related to the circular exclamation point.

DropthestarsDate: Thursday, 21 Aug 2014, 4:38 PM | Message # 6
Human
I will certainly take a stab at a redesign of the punctuation, thanks for the pointers.  Honestly, I'm very proud of this system, particularly the glyph names, but would be open to seeing a logographic form as well but for the time being, I can post some tips for writing in linear and a new punctuation system if everyone's okay with seeing more of it.

Message edited by Dropthestars - Thursday, 21 Aug 2014, 4:40 PM

LicoricePleaseDate: Saturday, 23 Aug 2014, 9:55 AM | Message # 7
I would love to see more of it!

DropthestarsDate: Monday, 03 Nov 2014, 11:08 AM | Message # 8
Human
I know my last response was a few months ago, but I promise, I'm still functioning.  I currently lack regular internet, but as soon as I have connectivity, I will post updated Linear punctuation and a writing guide.

DropthestarsDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2015, 6:54 PM | Message # 9
Human
I return, and bring with me a new set of linear punctuation for you to see! I'm hoping that this is the only thing between this system and the next step of becoming an official part of the language!
Attachments: 5156995.jpg (45.6 Kb)

LicoricePleaseDate: Thursday, 05 Feb 2015, 11:29 AM | Message # 10
That looks great! If we can get everything in one image (preferably done in paint or another image-creation program) then I can add it to the Project Notes!

DropthestarsDate: Saturday, 07 Feb 2015, 8:35 PM | Message # 11
Human
As requested, here is the entire alphabet with punctuation.  All the glyphs are in proper alphabetical order.
Attachments: 4821536.png (267.8 Kb)

Message edited by Dropthestars - Saturday, 07 Feb 2015, 9:01 PM

LicoricePleaseDate: Thursday, 12 Feb 2015, 12:48 PM | Message # 12
Make it narrower so it can fit in the PN without being too small, and also add the sounds the glyphs represent. Good job with the punctuation! Thinking on it now, it might be better to have a separate graph for the punctuation because the Circular letters and punctuation are in separate sections of the PN>

DropthestarsDate: Monday, 02 Mar 2015, 4:09 PM | Message # 13
Human
How's this? Sorry for the delay.
Attachments: 9217623.png (153.5 Kb) · 9026775.png (6.6 Kb)

Forum » Site-Related » Suggestions and Ideas » Additional Alphabet?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024