Tuesday, 19 Mar 2024, 4:34 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Gallifreyan Proverbs and Stuff - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Gallifreyan Customs and Culture » Gallifreyan Proverbs and Stuff
Gallifreyan Proverbs and Stuff
StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 12:39 PM | Message # 1
Rihays, Master of Many Names
Group: Administrators
This thread is one where you can translate ancient, time traveling, sage wisdom. Grammar and spelling will be discussed. The best ones will appear in Gallifreyan Idioms, Proverbs, Jokes, Insults, and More (GIPJIM).

What About...

Idioms?
Currently handled by the High Council. We have a list we're going through and just need the words for them.

Jokes?
Any jokes in Gallifreyan may be submitted (simply for the fact that it is a learning tool). Please limit English jokes to those relating to Gallifrey, the Doctor, Time Lords, etc.

Tongue-Twisters?
By all means.

Insults and Threats?
Use discretion, please.

Internet Abbreviations?
By all means. And since Time Lords are far more technologically advanced, get creative!

Profanity?
No. This could easily be misinterpreted.

(Some Other Idea)?
If you've got something else to add, by all means, share.

"Everybody knows that everybody dies." -River Song

KimDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 4:05 PM | Message # 2
Human
Group: Users
I do have a good idiom idea, if you don't already have too many?

The eyes of a TT
The state of knowing things in the guessing or predicting sense.
Ex.- He had the eyes of a TT when it came to go fish
Also may be used as a Gallifreyan alternative to the Earth phrase 'eyes in the back of your head'.
Ex.- Theta thought he had been discreet in passing the note, but the Proctor must have had the eyes of a TT, for after class he gave him detention for passing notes.

Message edited by Kim - Monday, 20 May 2013, 4:07 PM

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 5:02 PM | Message # 3
What's a TT? Forgive me if I'm missing a ClassicWho reference.

KimDate: Monday, 20 May 2013, 6:38 PM | Message # 4
Human
Oh, it's another name for a TARDIS. They also called them TT Capsules.  ^_^

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Wednesday, 22 May 2013, 8:03 AM | Message # 5
Okay, I think I may have read that somewhere. At any rate, thanks for clearing that up.

"uθ ṱɔθçɛ Tardis zi"
1. seeming to be psychic or have foreknowledge (or hindsight) of an event
2. similar to "eyes in the back of one's head"

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Saturday, 17 Aug 2013, 3:04 PM | Message # 6
We need more. MOAR! I'd like to publish an updated edition, but I'd like the additions to be significant in number. Idioms are good, but we have three pages of those. Proverbs, Jokes, Tongue-Twisters, even Internet Abbreviation are quite lacking. Insults and Threats and Profanity? Well, personally, I'd like that to just kind of develop on its own as they happen and not necessarily force the issue.

Proverbs, Jokes, Tongue-Twisters, Abbreviations! Come on, people, let's gogogo!

NorWinDate: Sunday, 18 Aug 2013, 5:04 AM | Message # 7
Stowaway
"Time moves in circles" was mentioned in The Infinity Doctors, I think.
(I don't think we have a word for circle or anything circular, but I imagine it may be related to write/writing/handwriting?)

To be honest, I'll probably need to think longer and harder about all this, aah. (Here's an abbreviation, TBH!) I'll be back later with moar ideas. ;)

artemislittleDate: Thursday, 10 Nov 2016, 5:36 AM | Message # 8
Human
On the topic of idioms and stuff (hopefully including greetings and farewells as well), would it be considered odd in Gallifreyan culture to say "goodbye" or "hello" or any other basic phrases such as "good morning" or "goodnight" to a timelord? I'm questioning this since timelords are known to zip in and out and all around time which would make it odd for the timelords surely, and also "goodbye" in the sense that there are usually 12 regenerations allowing for 13 bodies of the same timelord (the first body being the original non-regenerated body). Surely that would make it odd to say "goodbye" to a timelord if they're expected to have a few more regenerations hidden in their fez.

This brings me an idiom iidea... I'm not sure how good it may be, but how about the following?
"Just regen it" Equivalent of English: "Just walk it off".

Message edited by artemislittle - Thursday, 10 Nov 2016, 5:41 AM

NorWinDate: Monday, 03 Apr 2017, 2:40 AM | Message # 9
Stowaway
"Good morning" and "Good evening" are also a little more tricky due to Gallifrey having two suns, which probably redefines what "morning" and "evening" are. I cannot remember what we currently have for "goodbye" but if it’s not there already, there could be a difference between basically "see you later" and "farewell forever because you are out of regenerations and we will never ever meet again." 

I suppose that could work?

Forum » Learn Gallifreyan » Gallifreyan Customs and Culture » Gallifreyan Proverbs and Stuff
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024