Thursday, 28 Mar 2024, 6:36 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS
The Gallifreyan Conlang Project
Main | Sign Up | Login
Introduction - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: StrangerComeKnocking  
Forum » Community » Introductions » Introduction (Me saying hi. Hi!)
Introduction
KimDate: Wednesday, 24 Apr 2013, 9:00 PM | Message # 1
Human
Group: Users
Hi everyone. Oh, this is awesome; I love that this site is here, with all you other Whovians. So beautiful *wipes away tear*

But anyways, my name's Kim! A few months ago I got interested in Doctor Who and started to watch it on Netflix. It is an understatement when I say that I loved it.

Now, I'm a pretty nerdy person. Back when I was into things like the Percy Jackson or Harry Potter series, I tried learning latin, just so I could make up spells and talk to romans (romans are cool)
So when I discovered all the variety of knowledge in Doctor Who, I was eager to learn about it. I started off simple, with trying to do things like spell and pronounce Raxacoricofallapatorius. Then I discovered Gallifreyan. I found the transliteration of Gallifreyan. I'm happy to say that after a weekend of geeking out I learned it close to fluent-ly.

Then I found this site. I have to say, this place is awesome. The Gallifreyan seems so real! It's also more complicated, so I haven't learned much other than the sentence
uf ɛnɛt fɐnɛm
which is probally grammatically incorrect. But anyways, here I am, joining in order to talk with some of you guys about it, and maybe even practice a bit.

Anyways, nice to meet you all! I hope you have an extra spot for my TARDIS in your docking bay? She's a type 57 mark 3, and we've been nervous about materializing without saying hi first.

Message edited by Kim - Wednesday, 24 Apr 2013, 9:03 PM

awakeningDate: Thursday, 25 Apr 2013, 2:13 AM | Message # 2
Stowaway
Hey Kim!

Great to meet you!  Hope we can learn lots together! :D

Dʒɑʃjuə

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Thursday, 25 Apr 2013, 7:57 AM | Message # 3
Rihays, Master of Many Names
Group: Administrators
Welcome to the forum, Kim! ^_^ If you haven't already, you might want to check out Gallifreyan Made Easy and/or download the IPA Keyboard. Or you can head straight on over to Beginners and dive right in!

Edit: I love your piccy, by the way. It's adorable.

"Everybody knows that everybody dies." -River Song

KimDate: Thursday, 25 Apr 2013, 6:27 PM | Message # 4
Human
Aw, thanks  ^_^ Oh, and love the smileys. Fezzes are cool!

I've already downloaded the keyboard. I'll head right over to Beginner's, then! Well, after I finish making my Minecraft Gallifrey, at least... B)

Lexi-RaeDate: Monday, 13 May 2013, 3:06 PM | Message # 5
Human
Umm, hi, everybody! I'm Rae~
Okay, I'm nobody special, I don't even know how to do the IPA thing or anything, I'm just kind of super interested in all of this! 
I'm brand-new to this whole idea and trying to figure it out on my own is proving extremely difficult. I'd love to have someone who could teach it to me, or at least STUDY it with me, because this is something I want to learn while I'm on my extended summer vacation from school so I can go back to school and curse all of my teachers in Gallifreyan.  ;) Okay, that's not actually why, but I'd still like to get as much in my brain as I can before school starts up again! 
I hope you all don't mind my fumbling n00b-ness, I need help, seriously. I'll figure this all out eventually, I promise!  ^_^
Hope to learn lots!

StrangerComeKnockingDate: Monday, 13 May 2013, 4:09 PM | Message # 6
Rihays, Master of Many Names
Group: Administrators
Welcome to the Forum! :D Always glad to see new faces around here.

If you haven't already, take a read-through Gallifreyan Made Easy. It's a nice start to get you familiar with some of the basics and if you have any questions, you can always ask.

"Everybody knows that everybody dies." -River Song

awakeningDate: Monday, 13 May 2013, 6:18 PM | Message # 7
Stowaway
Hello Lexi-Rae!  Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry if you're struggling at first and don't know where to start, once you just dive in, you pick it up really quickly.  I was the same, I had absolutely no idea, and now I'd like to think I have a grasp of the basics :)

Rihays is extremely helpful and friendly and will always help you with corrections, and where possible I would love to help, although my knowledge only goes so far.
I can't wait to get to learning Gallifreyan with you!

Welcome yet again!
Have fun!
:D

Dʒɑʃjuə

KimDate: Monday, 13 May 2013, 7:48 PM | Message # 8
Human
Hi Lexi! :D Welcome to the forum. If you want a Gallifreyan study-buddy, I'd be more than happy to take that role; I'm fairly new myself, and don't really have a grasp on Gallifreyan either. Everyone else knows what they're doing  scarf

The admins are really nice and helpful from my own experience, and it seems like new words are being added to the Gallifreyan-English dictionary all the time. Hope you feel welcomed. ^_^

Lexi-RaeDate: Tuesday, 14 May 2013, 11:30 AM | Message # 9
Human
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Honestly, I wasn't expecting much of a response. :P

Kim, that sounds absolutely lovely. I'm really trying to think of this like an online class so I can get myself familiar with all of it the same way I am with Spanish--I don't have a great vocabulary but I can talk normally with what I know, and come up with the sentences (if rather slowly) in my head. Granted, I did have a teacher and take a whole year of college-level Spanish, but I also didn't have hours and hours every day to study it, so I'm hoping I can get there eventually. It's be great to have a study group of something, if you have like, reliable times you get on and whatnot, I'd like to get together with you and chat in real time to try and get this working in my brain. 

The admins are extremely helpful, and explain everything really clearly. I found that out yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I don't need corrections anymore! :D

Thanks again everybody~

NorWinDate: Tuesday, 14 May 2013, 3:02 PM | Message # 10
Stowaway
I'm a little late, but welcome here! It's a brilliant place. :D I'm still a beginner myself and still make mistakes, but how great it feels when you can start writing stuff easily enough (even with the occasional mistake here and there.. That's natural, after all)!

Forum » Community » Introductions » Introduction (Me saying hi. Hi!)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024